This will be held on Saturday, May 4th at Freedom Church in Owasso.
- Doors will open at 8:30 for registration.
- Officials meeting at 9:15. All brown and black belt adults, please be here in gi at that time.
- Competition will begin at 10:00 a.m., Second phase will start around 11:30.
- Registration is $50 for 13 and up ($45 pre-registration), $35 ($30 pre-registration) for 12 and under, $120 maximum per family ($100 pre-registration) $5 for spectators.
- Pre-registration date is April 27th, 2019, one week prior to the tournament.
- All fight rings will be on mats.
- Phase one will be all brown and black belt competition plus all weapons. Phase two will be all other competition. Phase three will be the championship forms and fighting competition.
- All awards will be given in the ring after each division’s competition.
- Gear regulations: All competitors must wear hand gear with a full inch of padding over the knuckles, kick boots, every fighter under 18 must wear headgear, a mouth piece is mandatory for all fighters under 18, and groin protection for boys is recommended.
- There will be a set of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place podiums where competitors can have their photo taken following each division.
Here is some detailed information about the ABKA Championships including fight rules, continuous fighting tips, divisions and awards and championships in both forms and fighting.
- Ages 14 and up will have continuous fighting for two minutes. Winner will be determined by a majority of judges votes. This will allow for more time in actual competition since there will no stopping for point calling.
- Competitors below brown belt and below 18 years old need to wear head gear. Everyone needs to have gloves with at least one inch of padding in the knuckles, foot pads, a mouth guard, and cups are recommended for the gentlemen, but not required.
- Ages 13 and below will have the traditional points matches. Target areas are the sides and back fo the head, the front and sides of the torso and the groin. Non-scoring areas include the top of the head, neck, back, behind, and legs.
- Divisions below brown belt will not allow face contact. Contact will result in a point being awarded to the competitor who was struck.
- Fouls will be given if a competitor continues to step out of the ring to avoid the fight, drops to the ground to avoid the fight, or continues to strike the joints and legs, etc. After three fouls, the other competitor will be awarded a point for each infraction. This rarely happens in a two minute round, but anything is possible.
Championship fights for adult black belt fighters will be three two-minute rounds with grappling allowed. Submissions do not end the fight. Fifteen seconds down fighting and you must advance your position toward a submission or fighters will start again standing.
TIPS FOR CONTINUOUS FIGHTING
- Keep moving and use all of the ring. Good footwork.
- Engage and disengage – don’t stay in clinches.
- Use combinations and multiple technique attack.
- Certain techniques that are more difficult to score are more impressive to judges and will score higher. Examples: a round house kick to the head is more impressive than a body jab, a take down and follow up score in three seconds is more impressive than a soft back-fist, and submission or near submission in the championship fights will score higher than a single reverse punch.
- Counter techniques are better than avoiding the fight.
Kata (empty hand) 19 divisions:
Black belt men
Black belt women
Brown belt adults
Youth 16, 17 – advanced, intermediate, beginner
Youth 14, 15 – advanced, intermediate, beginner
Youth 12, 13 – advanced, intermediate, beginner
10, 11 – intermediate, beginner
8,9 – intermediate, beginner
up to 7 – beginner
Kobudo (weapons) 7 divisions:
Black belt men
Black belt women
Adult brown belts
Adult beginner and intermediate
Youth advanced 13-17 (brown and black)
Youth intermediate and beginners (white through purple) 13-17
Kids 12 and under
Kumite (sparring) 35 divisions:
Black belt men 18-39
Black belt men 40 and above
Black belt women 18-39
Black belt women 40 and above
Brown belt men
Brown belt women
16, 17 boys – advanced, intermediate, beginner
16, 17 girls – advanced, intermediate, beginner
14, 15 boys – advanced, intermediate, beginner
14, 15 girls – advanced, intermediate, beginner
12, 13 boys – intermediate, beginner, advanced
12, 13 girls -intermediate, beginner, advanced
10, 11 boys – intermediate, beginner
10, 11 girls – intermediate, beginner
8, 9 – intermediate, beginner
up to 7 – beginner
Kata champion –
* The final will be between the men’s black belt kata winner, the women’s black belt kata winner, the black belt men’s weapons winner, and the black belt women’s weapons winner.
* Winner decided by the combined score of kata and kobudo. Candidate must perform one empty hand kata and one kobudo kata. Five judges, total score wins.
* The grand champion of this division will receive a large “traveling trophy” that will collect the names of the winners each year.
* The trophy must be returned next year and passed on the the next champion, or defended. A commemorative award will be given to the previous year’s champion to keep permanently.
Two kumite champions –
Men black belt 18-39 champion vs. black belt 40 and above champion.
Women – black belt 18-39 champion vs. black belt 40 and above champion.
- All championship fights will have four judges plus center official.
- Winner on majority decision.
- There will be three two minute rounds, continuous fighting, submissions allowed but do not end the fight.
* The men’s champion and the women’s champion will each receive a title belt. This will also be a “traveling” award and this year’s champions will be the first names engraved on each belt. The belts must be returned next year and passed on the the next champions, or defended. A commemorative award will be given to the previous year’s champion to keep permanently.
Other Awards –
First, second, and one third place trophy in every division. There will not be any second third places.
If you have any questions that have not been answered in this information, please inquire via email to email@example.com and we will get back with you.