THE MAN IN THE ARENA
“The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” Theodore Roosevelt (this quote can be found on page 137 of Truth for Fighters)
Fighting Rules for Missions Tournament 2020
ALL BLACK AND BROWN BELT FIGHTS AND ALL ADVANCED 15-17 YRS. FIGHTING
- One 3-minute round fought on mats.
- All hand, foot and knee strikes in scorable targets = 1 point
- All legitimate take downs with a follow up technique in 5 sec. = 2 points
- Contact rules: Fighters 18 yrs. and above and brown belt and above are allowedcontrolled contact to the head. Excessive contact is a disqualification (majority decision by the judges). All body contact must be solid but controlled.EQUIPMENT RULES
- Mandatory headgear for all fighters under 18 years.
- Hand and foot gear of at least 1” of padding required for all fighters. All fighters must bein gis. Jacket sleeves must come to the elbow.
- Fouls: Blind techniques, punches or kicks to non-scoring areas, excessive contact,avoiding the fight (leaving the ring or dropping to avoid your opponent), accumulation of any 3 is a disqualification. Unsportsman-like attitude or action and aggressive injury on your opponent are immediate disqualifications.
- Show respect at all times to your judges, opponents, and fight ring with appropriate bows.
RULES FOR FIGHTERS BELOW 18 YRS AND BELOW BROWN BELT
1. One two-minute round
2. Same as in Black Belt #2
3. No Take Downs
4. No face or head gear face contact
5. Numbers 5-8 are the same as in black belt.
All of this will be explained and demonstrated at the tournament.
GRAND CHAMPION FORMS COMPETITION: 1-KATA & 1-KOBUDO, HIGHEST POINT TOTAL DECIDES
Grand Championship Fights
1. 5-minute round
2. 30 seconds allowed from takedown or standing submission attempt. A submission counts for 5 points, submission ends with tap, verbal tap or center official calls tap. No serious injury submissions attempts are allowed, i.e. heel hooks, knee bars or neck cranks.
3. All other black belt rules apply
1. 5-minute round
2. All age appropriate rules are the same
3. Takedowns are allowed with 5 seconds to follow up with a scoring technique. If successful, it receives 2 points.
This will also be explained and demonstrated at the tournament.